Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Personas

A poem for us both.

"Whenever two people meet, there are really six people present. There is each man as he sees himself, each man as the other person sees him, and each man as he really is."
       -- William James

       MR. ME AND MR. WHO

A rivulet of water ran down my mirror,
splitting my image in two.
I thought I could see them both in that scene,
Mr. Me, and Mr. Who.

Mr. Me, is on the outside,
he’s always looking in.
Mr. Who is on the inside
looking out at his old friend.

Mr. Me is aging,
he thinks of getting old.
Mr. Who is just a boy,
his age is still on hold.

Mr. Me is what you see
when you look my way.
Mr. Who is what I think,
sometimes what I say.

Mr. Me, and Mr. Who
have been there from the start.
One looking in, the other out,
they’ll never live apart.

If you see me on the street
and, if I should see you,
you’ll shake hands with Mr. Me,

but be seen by Mr. Who.

Dennis Price

4 comments:

I encourage your comments. Keep the language civil and you will be published.