Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Mississippi


Last week, Bebe and I drove through the Wild Horse desert and pushed our little SUV through major cities and country towns to arrive, as darkness fell, in my home state,  Mississippi.  We called my sister on the way and told her we were coming.  She was happy we waited so she wouldn't have to go to a lot of trouble preparing for our arrival.  We arrived to find her standing at the stove preparing a traveler's meal.  This week we'll try and get back on the program again.

We traveled to the Mississippi Gulf Coast and enjoyed the scenery of a sparser, but recovering, post Katrina  area.  The shrimp Po-Boys were as delicious as any I ever remember.  The light crude that leaked into the gulf didn't seem to affect the flavor in the least.



 We met with some of Bebe's cousins who own a river camp and rode on their pontoon boat into the beautiful backwaters of the Pascagoola river.  The weather was beautiful and the gators were enjoying the sunshine.  The picture shows house boats lining the bank of Sumrall bayou.  Every stop included seeking out more food.  A family reunion on Saturday provided more opportunities to eat.

After our meal on Saturday, we loaded the SUV and headed west once again.  We drove for four hours and stopped at the home of some old friends in central Louisiana for, you guessed it, more food and fellowship.  After a long evening of talking we fell into bed to grab a few winks before pushing on toward the tip of Texas.

The weather for the entire trip was outstanding.  We followed the familiar roads back and arrived as darkness was falling on the valley.  Thanks to all the family and friends who made the trip a memorable experience.

If God had wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates.
  - Jay Leno

5 comments:

  1. Now this is a part of the country that I have never visited even in cyber space. Thank you for the glimpse in pictures, but the words, now they are telling more today. Glad that you and your wife had a great time away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would enjoy it Vee. The scenery is beautiful, and the people are very gracious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pics! And OMGoodness... didn't realize --until I READ-- those houses were boats(!).
    Also, perhaps I'll bend your ear sometime and ask HOW do you get your pics to be so big?? I've cheated with the numbers in the HTML code edit box, but the pics always come out poorer quality AND if I do that, one cannot click to make them even bigger. That's what I loved about your pics and noticed the pontoons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm getting a new screen on my blog when I hit the icon to enter pictures. After the picture is placed on the post it gives me the option to pick the picture size. I just clicked on them by accident after I posted and noticed they enlarge. I never know how things work on these programs. I just try and figure out the sequence to get things done. Someone not so generationally removed from our current electronic media might be able to give you a better answer. Pappy

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like fun. We've always found the area beautiful and the people kindly. I'm glad you got to visit with your kin again. I know y'all miss each other very much. Great pics too! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

I encourage your comments. Keep the language civil and you will be published.